English | Español | العربية | 中文 | Kreyòl Ayisyen | 한국어 | русский

How to Apply for Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) - ACCESS NYC Screening Tool for New York City Human Service Programs - Benefit Information. One Place.


How Do I Apply?

How Do I Apply?
Return to Home pagePrevious
The following is information about how to apply for a particular program and the required documentation.

Applying for Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Here are the things you need to do:
1. To apply for Regular (non-emergency) HEAP benefits you must complete the form and apply in person. To apply for Emergency HEAP benefits you must have applied and been found eligible for a Regular benefit for the current program year and may apply for a heat or heat related Emergency Benefit over the phone. You may be eligible for Emergency HEAP benefits if you have a fuel supply that is equal to or less than one quarter of the household’s fuel tank, utility service has been terminated (turned-off) or utility service is scheduled for termination (turned-off).
You may apply by mail for regular (non-emergency) benefits ONLY if:
              a. The head of household is disabled and is in receipt of Retirement Survivor’s, or Disability Insurance under Title II
              of the Social Security Act, or
              b. The head of household is aged 60 or older, or
              c. The household is Code A SSI, or
              d. The household is receiving Cash Assistance or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
The application should be mailed to:
              New York City Home Energy Assistance Program
              P.O. Box 1401
              Church Street Station
              New York, NY 10008
You may request that an application be mailed to you by calling 1-800-692-0557.
If you are homebound and applying for regular or emergency benefits, you may request a home visit by calling 212-331-3150.
2. You may apply at HEAP offices located throughout the five boroughs. If you are also applying for Cash Assistance, apply at your designated Job Center. In ACCESS NYC, you can search for the HEAP offices near you or the Job Center that serves your zip code.
3. You will need to provide proof of address, household members, citizenship, fuel/utility bills, and monthly gross household income. In ACCESS NYC, you can search for the full list of required documents.

Important Links

View information about the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) program at:
ACCESS NYC provides information regarding the documents you may need to apply for the program and office locations. You can also view and print the partially filled forms for some of the programs.
Return to Home pagePrevious