How to Apply for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (Federal, New York State and New York City) - ACCESS NYC Screening Tool for New York City Human Service Programs - Benefit Information. One Place.
How Do I Apply?
|How Do I Apply?|
|The following is information about how to apply for a particular program and the things you should bring with you.|
Applying for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (Federal, New York State and New York City)
|Here are the things you need to do:|
|1. EITC is a complex tax credit. Taxpayers must meet a number of eligibility requirements in order to claim the credit.|
2. To claim the credits, you will need to use the following forms:
- If you have a child, Schedule EIC for the federal return, and
- Form IT-215 for the New York State credit, and
- Worksheet C in the Instructions Form for IT-215, for the New York City credit
|3. In ACCESS NYC, you can search for the full list of documents you will need to file your taxes and claim the credits.|
|4. If you earn $52,000 or less (with children) or $18,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free. Use this link to learn more about eligibility and to find a location near you: http://www.nyc.gov/html/ofe/html/policy_and_programs/freetaxsite.shtml (or for a wider list of sites use this link: http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/ ).|
|5. If you prefer to file your taxes by yourself, you can file your taxes for free here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/ofe/html/policy_and_programs/onlinefreetaxprep.shtml|
6. Although they will not prepare your taxes for you, there are a number of services available at IRS offices as well. At an IRS office you can get help with: Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account); Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments); Alien clearances (Sailing Permits); Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order (ATAO); Basic tax law assistance January 1 - April 15 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) ; Preparing Form 2290 (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7; Multilingual assistance; Payment arrangements; Payments (check or money order only); Procedural inquiries; Solutions to tax issues; Tax forms (based on availability).
Find a list of IRS locations here: http://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp.
|ACCESS NYC provides information regarding the documents you may need to apply for the program and office locations. You can also view and print the partially filled forms for some of the programs.|