How to Apply for Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (Federal and New York State)/New York City Child Care Tax Credit - ACCESS NYC Screening Tool for New York City Human Service Programs - Benefit Information. One Place.
How Do I Apply?
|How Do I Apply?|
|The following is information about how to apply for a particular program and the things you should bring with you.|
Applying for Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (Federal and New York State)/New York City Child Care Tax Credit
|Here are the things you need to do:|
|1. You may be able to reduce the amount of taxes you owe or get money back by claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your federal and New York State income tax returns. You may be eligible for this credit if you paid someone to care for a child under the age of 13, a qualifying spouse, or a dependent so you could work or look for work. You may also be eligible for the New York City Child Care Tax Credit if you paid child care expenses for a child under the age of 4 and have an income of less than $30,000. To claim these credits, the child or dependent must live with you for at least half of the year.|
2. To claim the credits, you will need to use the following forms:
- Form 2441, if you use federal form 1040, or
- Schedule 2, if you use federal form 1040A, and
- Form IT-216 for the New York State and New York City credits
3. To claim the credits, you will need the following:
- Provider’s name, address, and identification number (EIN or Social Security Number)
- Amount of the out-of-pocket child or dependent care expenses
|4. If you earn $52,000 or less (with children) or $18,000 or less (without children), you may be eligible to get your taxes done in-person for free. Use this link to learn more about eligibility and to find a location near you: http://www.nyc.gov/html/ofe/html/policy_and_programs/freetaxsite.shtml (or for a wider list of sites use this link: http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/ ).|
|5. If you prefer to file your taxes by yourself, you can file your taxes for free here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/ofe/html/policy_and_programs/onlinefreetaxprep.shtml|
6. Although they will not prepare your taxes for you, there are a number of services available at IRS offices as well. At an IRS office you can get help with: Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account); Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments); Alien clearances (Sailing Permits); Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order (ATAO); Basic tax law assistance January 1 - April 15 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) ; Preparing Form 2290 (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7; Multilingual assistance; Payment arrangements; Payments (check or money order only); Procedural inquiries; Solutions to tax issues; Tax forms (based on availability).
Find a list of IRS locations here: http://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp.
|ACCESS NYC provides information regarding the documents you may need to apply for the program and office locations. You can also view and print the partially filled forms for some of the programs.|